Chrysanthemums are known as the ‘Queen Of Fall Flowers’ in the United States. These late-season bloomers put on a colorful floral display in the fall after all the other plants have ceased bloom production.
These hardy flowers thrive in the cooler fall weather and show off their fall colors at the same time the tree foliage is changing colors. Blooms come in various shades of purple, red, white, and yellow.
The plant leaves have serrated edges and add architectural interest to the flower garden from spring until the first fall frost. Chrysanthemum leaves are edible and have medicinal uses too.
Chrysanthemum Meanings Around the World
This fall flower has different meanings for different cultures. Down through the centuries and across the culture, one common meaning the flowers hold is that they signify hope and joy. The plant, even though winter is near, will still produce colorful blooms that make us smile.
- In the United States, chrysanthemums symbolize friendship, happiness, and well-being. They are the flower of choice for fall decor and autumn gardens.
- In Australia, chrysanthemums are the official flower for Mother’s Day due to their nickname “mums.”
- In Great Britain, the flower is a symbol of happiness and longevity.
- During the Victorian era, chrysanthemums were given to show friendship and well-wishing.
- The Chinese tradition is to give the flower to the elderly as a symbol of long life and good luck.
- In Belgium and Austria, the chrysanthemum is used as a memorial flower to honor loved ones and is the flower of choice for placing on graves.
- In Japan, people noted that the flower’s petals opened in perfect order and the plant has been associated with perfection in the Japanese culture. There is a National Chrysanthemum Day held in Japan yearly to celebrate their love for the flower.
- The chrysanthemum is the official flower of the cities Beijing and Kaifeng.
- Chrysanthemums are the official birth flower for November.
- Buddhist monks use the chrysanthenium as an offering due to its strong yang energy. They believe it represents the sun and helps bring about enlightenment.
The meaning of Crysanthemum is “flowering chrysanthemum” or “chrysanthemum flower”. Chrysanthemum (Greek Χρυσάνταμος) means “golden flowers” in Greek and it comes from the word χρύσεινwhich means to shine with gold. It is also called golden-flowered aster.
Chrysanthemum is a well-known symbol of purity, virtue, loyalty and good fortune. In fact, it is considered such a powerful symbol that is used across Asia to symbolize purity.Chrysanthemums have been used throughout history as a symbol of love and beauty. Today, they represent luck and good fortune.
There are different kinds of meanings associated with the chrysanthemums. Some of them are listed below:
- Chrysanthemum Meaning – Love: In China, the chrysanthemum means “love”. People use this flower to express their feelings towards their beloved ones.
- Chrysanthemum meaning – Friendship: People use this flower to show their friendship. They usually give this flower to their friends at the beginning of the year
- Chrysanthemum Flower Meaning – Hope: People use this flower to represent their hopes. They put this flower near their bedside when they want to have good dreams.
- Chrysanthemum flower meaning – Peace: This flower represents peace. People often put this flower near their homes to create a peaceful environment.
- Chrysanthemum Flowers Meaning – Beauty: People use this beautiful flower to beautify their houses. They also use this flower to decorate their gardens.
- Chrysanthemum flowers meaning – Happiness: People use this lovely flower to make their lives happier. They put this flower on their tables to bring happiness to their family members.
- Chrysanthemum meanings – Good Luck: People use this pretty flower to wish good luck to others. They also use this to attract more positive energies.
Symbolism Of Chrysanthemums Colors
While the chrysanthemum plant generally symbolizes longevity, fidelity, joy, hope, and optimism, each bloom color symbolizes something different. Each bloom contains a multitude of tiny flowers. The middle of the flower is made up of disc florets and the petals are ray florets. Like for meaning and symbolism for purple, red, orange, and yellow flowers, Chrysanthemums too have specific meanings according to their color. In particular:
- Purple blooms symbolize thoughtfulness and care.
- Red chrysanthemums symbolize love and passion.
- White chrysanthemums are reserved for mourning and grief in Japan and Europe. However, in other countries, white blooms symbolize innocence, purity, honesty, and loyalty.
- Yellow chrysanthemums symbolize happiness, joy, and celebration.
- Green chrysanthemums symbolize rebirth, good health, and longevity.
- Orange chrysanthemums symbolize excitement and happiness.
- Pink flowers symbolize friendship and affection.
What we love from Amazon this week
Buy these wonderful flowers directly from Amazon: